Information for staff

Return to campus

We have made plans so that staff who have been working remotely can rejoin colleagues who are already onsite.

We're also making plans for new hybrid ways of working for the future.

Take a look at our health and wellbeing resources for staff, to find out about the support and help that's available to you.

On campus? Get tested regularly

It is crucial that staff who visit campus get tested regularly. We can all help protect vulnerable people in the community and on campus, and help drive rates down.

You should get two tests a week, three days apart. You can book your tests at our campus testing centres, or collect home-testing kits from locations across campus.

Not sure what to expect at the testing centre on campus? We take you through the process step-by-step in this video produced by YSTV.

Positive test, or Covid-19 symptoms?

If you test positive you should let the University know that you're self-isolating by telephoning your line manager. You should book a PCR test via the NHS to confirm your positive result. You must self-isolate while you wait for the test result.

If you have any Covid-19 symptoms you should self-isolate and book a test via the NHS.


Please follow the current government guidance for self-isolation. You must self-isolate if you:

  • have any Covid-19 symptoms (a new continuous cough, high temperature, loss or change of taste or smell)

  • have tested positive for Covid-19 (you can book a test through the NHS Covid-19 app, the website or by telephoning 119)

  • share a household with someone with symptoms or who has tested positive (unless you are fully vaccinated, or are under 18 years and six months old)

  • are contacted and asked to do so by either the University or NHS Test and Trace

  • have travelled to England from a outside the UK.


Over the past 18 months we have maximised ventilation. Buildings across our campus have a range of ventilation systems, so we use a mix of strategies, including running mechanical systems at full capacity and encouraging staff and students to keep windows open to let fresh air in.

Exact levels of ventilation in a space vary depending on factors including outside temperature and wind speed.

The ventilation we have in place is considered in combination with our other control measures, such as face coverings, vaccinations and testing. All these reduce risk within our overall institutional risk assessment which covers all our indoor spaces on campus.

Working arrangements and pay

HR have published guidance for staff to support your working arrangements as restrictions end, encouraging a supportive and empathetic approach.

See guidance on absence associated with Covid-19 vaccinations.

Information on tax relief while working at home is available on the HMRC website.

Our new remote working policy comes into effect from 27 September 2021.

Working remotely

Our Working at York page covers:

It also includes guidance on technology and data protection. More guidance can also be found on the Working remotely (Skills guide) page.

We're looking forward to welcoming more staff back to campus over the summer. Find out more about reconnecting on campus or take a look at our health and wellbeing resources for staff.


We have pulled together resources to support your wellbeing while working remotely.

If you need to talk to someone:


As a research intensive University, our community remains committed to the quality of our research, which is carried out to the highest standards.

Our staff research pages contain:

Additional contacts

For most queries, please contact your department in the first instance, or email

External information sources

In addition to University sources, you should also consult these official sources of information: