Information for current students

We are updating these pages as the situation develops so please check them regularly.

Key information

  • Our aim for the Autumn term 2020 is to deliver as much face-to-face teaching as possible and to deliver online teaching where we need to. Find out more about our plans.

  • The sixth round of our Emergency Student Support Fund opened at 2pm on Wednesday 5 August and will close on at 2pm on Wednesday 12 August.

  • Students should avoid returning to campus. Please await further instructions while we put in place measures to help keep you safe.

The rest of this page and additional pages linked below have full details and lots more information.

Top tip: there’s a lot of information on these pages, so remember you can use ctrl-F (Windows) or cmd-F (Mac) to search within the page for the information you need.

Facilities, services and events

  • Student support services including Open Door, College team and Student Hub will continue via email, video chat or telephone, but may be operating at reduced capacity. If you need support or advice, please remember the student wellbeing web pages or continue to contact the Student Hub.

  • Most on-campus facilities are closed while others are operating a reduced service. For details, see campus facilities.

  • IT Support is closed on campus but will continue to be available via email and phone as normal.

  • Graduation has been postponed. We are still determined that final year students progress and will be conferred with their degrees. Online celebration events will take place in August

  • The Roses tournament and Summer Ball have been cancelled.

Self-isolation and illness

If you have symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19), however mild, stay at home or in your University accommodation and follow the government's guidance

What you need to do:

Please inform the Student Hub by filling in the student self-isolation form. If you're not well enough to do assessments, you should follow the standard procedure to apply for exceptional circumstances.

The information you provide will be shared with relevant teams within the University to support you, including your academic department. If you have any problems completing the form, please email

We will use this information to monitor the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on our students and to inform our support and teaching contingency plans.

Self-isolating in shared accommodation

Please see our guidance on self-isolating or 'staying at home' in shared accommodation

If you don't feel safe at home

Guidance and support is available if you feel unsafe at home:

International students

The latest advice from the UK Government is that students who are still at the University should now stay where they are and not attempt to travel.

We will continue to offer you support to remain in York. If you need to extend your University accommodation, or if you live off campus and need a University room, please contact the Accommodation team:

Information for Tier 4 students

The University will not be curtailing sponsorship for any Tier 4 student not returning to the UK for the Summer term, with the exception of some students taking a leave of absence - see below for details. Nor will students be asked to complete the re-enrolment activity. You don’t need to request an early departure or a change in study location. You should have already been contacted to provide additional information through e:vision to let us know your plans for the Summer term.

If you need a new CAS to extend your current visa, you can still request this through e:vision as normal.

If you are unable to access e:vision, but have access to email, please contact for advice.

Visa extensions

The UKVI has announced that it will not further extend visas due to expire between 24 January and 31 July 2020, but they will allow an additional month (to 31 August) for you to travel home. You do not need to do anything about this grace period – your immigration record will be automatically updated.

If you intend to leave the UK but are not able to do so by 31 August 2020, you may request additional time to stay, also known as ‘exceptional indemnity’, by contacting the coronavirus immigration team (CIT). Alternatively, if you are planning to continue studying, you can apply for your new T4 visa from within the UK, if you meet the eligibility requirements.

If your visa is due to expire by 31 August 2020, you must submit a valid visa application, if you wish to stay, by this date, otherwise you must make arrangements to leave the UK. The latest UKVI guidance for visa holders can be found on their website: Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents

Please contact International Student Support on if you:

  • are concerned about your visa expiring before returning home

  • need to apply for a visa in a different category (they will advise you on how you can do this without returning to your country of residence)

Leave of Absence processes for Tier 4 students

  • Any Leave of Absence for three months or under will not be reported to the UKVI and sponsorship on your Tier 4 visa will continue.

  • Requests for a Leave of Absence of three to six months will be considered on a case by case basis looking at the length of time requested and your current circumstances.

  • Leave of Absences for six months or more will be reported to the UKVI and sponsorship on your Tier 4 visa will stop.

If you choose to permanently withdraw from your studies, or take a leave of absence for reasons unrelated to COVID-19, we must continue to report as usual and stop the sponsorship on your Tier 4 visa. If you would like any further information on how a Leave of Absence may affect your Tier 4 visa please contact

Accessing University systems from another country

In most countries you can access all University systems, including email. If you are having difficulty, try connecting to the University VPN service or the Virtual Desktop Service first.

Contacting the University if you can't access your University email

If your only way of contacting the University is by expensive phone calls, please contact the International Student Support Team who will arrange to call you back. If you cannot use your University email, either telephone +44 (0) 1904 324140 to request a return call, or use a personal email account and send to

Entering or returning to the UK

For the latest government advice on returning to the UK see:

Placements and studying abroad

If you are hoping to apply for a study/work placement abroad

If you are in the process of applying to your host institution or organisation for your 2020/21 placement abroad you should continue with your preparations. However we advise you not to make any travel arrangements or bookings at this stage. Please keep in touch with Global Programmes, at, as well as your Departmental International Officer.

We will continue to support you with the application and pre-departure process and are offering online appointments via Google Meet. Please contact or to make an appointment.

We also recommend that you follow your Department's instructions to enrol for modules at York in 2020/21 even though you're planning to study/work abroad next year.

If you are on a placement year/year in industry

Follow your employer’s or host organisation’s guidelines and interpretation of Government Guidance regarding working arrangements and non-essential travel. This includes working from home if you can and are directed to do so. If there is a significant change to your working arrangements or placement, please let your Placement Coordinator know at the earliest opportunity.

If your contract of employment is suspended or terminated, contact your Placement Coordinator immediately for advice. If you’ve had to finish your placement earlier than expected then you will still be able to undertake the final assessment exercise. Contact your department’s Placement Coordinator for more information.

If you are on a professional programme

Students studying on professional programmes in medicine, nursing and midwifery, social work and teaching are required to complete a set number of days or hours in practice to achieve a professional qualification. Under normal circumstances the number of days or hours spent in practice placements, as set out by the professional body that regulates the profession, must be completed and competencies demonstrated against a set of occupational standards.

Students on professional programmes will have been scheduled to be in practice placements at some point during the spring and summer terms. Many students will have had placements paused or cancelled as a result of COVID-19. This reduction in the number of placement hours completed in practice will have different implications depending on the length of the programme and the year of study.

Students on professional programmes should:

  • follow the guidance provided by the programme leader/academic department in which you are studying - the guidance may be different depending on your year group

  • contact the programme leader/academic department if you have any questions about your placements

  • continue the programme of study as set out by your department, including engaging in online teaching and learning activities

  • check the information provided by your department about changes to the assessments for your programme

  • await information about your professional status from your programme team - University staff are working through procedures in line with national Professional Body requirements and will provide you with more information when this is available.

Fees and funding

The UK Government has announced that there will be no reductions to the fees paid to universities as a consequence of the impact of Covid-19 if quality teaching, learning and assessment is taking place online. Therefore, the University of York will not be refunding or reducing student fee payments. This applies to international, UK and EU home students.

If you are suffering financial difficulties and are worried about paying your fees, please contact the Fees Office to discuss your situation and work out a suitable payment plan. It may be possible to agree to a payment plan that goes past the end of summer term if this is not your final year.

If you are facing housing and food costs, technology costs associated with online learning, or other unanticipated financial challenges as a result of the current Covid-19 crisis, please visit our financial support webpage for information on possible available support.

  • If you wish to seek tailored advice on your situation, you can make a telephone, email or virtual appointment with our trained Student Advisers by completing the self-referral form online.

  • Whilst the support packages cannot be used to pay fees or pay for rent in University owned accommodation, they can be used for other essential living costs and other difficulties brought about by the impact of Covid-19.

If you are experiencing urgent financial hardship, please speak to a Student Adviser at the Student Hub as soon as possible.

Emergency Student Support Fund

With thanks to our community of donors from alumni, staff, friends and supporters of the York Unlimited philanthropic campaign, we have set up an Emergency Student Support Fund (COVID-19).

This provides financial support of up to £500 (per applicant) for students facing unanticipated financial challenges.

The fund helps students with housing and food costs, travel expenses, technology costs associated with online learning, and other financial challenges.

In the first five rounds, we received a high volume of applications and more than 800 students received emergency support. Applications were carefully reviewed on a case-by-case basis against core criteria, and all applicants have been contacted directly by email, which included details of other sources of support and financial assistance.

The sixth round of our Emergency Student Support Fund (ESSF) opened at 2pm on Wednesday 5 August and will close on at 2pm on Wednesday 12 August.

Please note that previous recipients of ESSF are eligible to apply again, with the exception of those who have received two separate £500 awards from this fund in 2020. These students are encouraged to contact the Student Hub if they require further support.

You can also find information about other support funding and loans on our assistance funding web page.

The fund is being supported by the University and through donations from alumni, staff, friends and supporters of the University. If you would like to find out more and donate, visit our fundraising page. Thank you.

Student Loan Company (SLC) funding for next term

The SLC have confirmed that students will receive their scheduled or next instalment of their maintenance loan at the planned start of their summer term, regardless of whether their university has made alternative arrangements for teaching.

The Department for Education (DfE) has also launched a new helpline to answer questions related to education. Staff, parents and students can contact the helpline by telephone (800 046 8687) or email

The helpline is open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Your student loan if you take Leave of Absence

The University will inform Student Finance of any break in study. This will mean any future payments that were due to be made to you are put on hold until you resume your studies.

However if your leave of absence is a result of being unable to practically continue your studies during this remote learning period, you should continue to receive your loan payments from your Student Finance provider. We would advise all students in this situation, or anyone wanting to know how taking an leave of absence will affect their Student Finance, to discuss their personal circumstances with a member of the Student Support and Advice Team by completing their online referral form.


For those of you remaining in your student accommodation you should now stay where you are and not attempt to travel. You should follow Government guidelines and stay home while current restrictions are in force.

If you live on campus, please see our information on University accommodation.

Private sector housing

You can find information about your rights and responsibilties as a student renting in the private sector on our accommodation web pages. This includes information relating to current circustances around COVID-19.

Shelter has also published Housing advice: coronavirus (COVID-19) which covers:

If you need further advice on private tenancies please contact the Student Support and Advice team via their online self-referral form. A Student Adviser will aim to respond to you within three working days.

Guidance for landlords and tenants

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has published advice on the provisions in the Coronavirus Act 2020, and the rights and responsibilities (including repairs and maintenance) of landlords and tenants during the COVID-19 outbreak.

COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities

Ending a private tenancy agreement if you no longer need it or are unable to return to York

You should inform your landlord/housing provider if you are no longer currently residing in the property. It may also be possible to negotiate a shorter tenancy or to move the dates of your agreement due to the circumstances. However, there is no legal obligation for a landlord/housing provider to release tenants from contracts because of the current situation.

Please note that if you are in a joint tenancy all members of that tenancy would have to agree to a change in contract.

The UK charity Shelter have provided some useful housing advice for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you are struggling to afford rent payments due to the current situation

In the first instance you should contact your landlord/housing provider to discuss your situation. You may be able to negotiate either a temporary reduction in rent or arrange payments for a later date. The UK Government has announced that buy-to-let landlords can request a 3-month “mortgage holiday” which may allow them to be lenient with rent payments.

New legislation also means that landlords will not be able to begin eviction proceedings for three months. If you are ever threatened with eviction however, please contact a member of the Student Support and Advice team.

Please note that if you are in a joint tenancy all members of that tenancy would have to agree to change in contract.

Information published by the Department for Housing and Communities

If you haven’t been able to arrange your housing for 2020/21

Try not to worry – there’s good availability for student housing in York. You can also sign up for the waiting list for University accommodation.

Additional contacts