Campus accommodation

This page provides information about campus accommodation. For advice about private sector accommodation, please see the housing section of the main information for students page. We've also compiled some information on your rights and responsibilities as a private sector student tenant.

If you're self-isolating in campus accommodation see our 'stay at home' and self-isolation guidance.

We are updating these pages as the situation develops, so please check them regularly.

You should also consult these official sources of information:

Should I stay on campus?

Government guidance has recently changed, stating that if a student is moving permanently to live back at their family home, this is now permitted.

Please be assured that the University will continue to provide support for all students who remain in campus accommodation and are unable to move back to their family at the current time.

I can't leave, my room on campus is currently my only home

Don't worry, you can continue to stay on campus and the advice is that you should now stay where you are and not attempt to travel. It is the University's absolute priority to do all that we can to support your health and wellbeing. Please be assured that the University will continue to provide support for any students who need to stay in campus accommodation.

I can't leave, I'm currently self-isolating on campus

Please remain in your campus accommodation and complete the Student Support self-isolation online form.

I have already left but I was unable to take all my belongings with me

By now, you should have received an email explaining the arrangements for collecting your belongings. If you haven't received this message, or if you weren't able to book a suitable slot to collect your belongings, please contact Accommodation Services as soon as possible.

I'm leaving: what do I need to do and what should I do with my key?

Please return your key to your College Reception or the nearest open Reception (eg Ron Cooke Hub if you're on Campus East, Wentworth if you're in James and the Information Centre if you're in Alcuin or Derwent). There will be a contact-free box where you can drop off your key.

I have additional requirements and I'm still on campus, where can I get support with regards to my accommodation?

Please contact us by email at and our team will get back to you as soon as possible.

I have equipment in my room due to my additional requirements, will it be removed?

Please contact your College directly to discuss arrangements for your equipment.

Rent and payments

Do I have to pay my next rent instalment?

If you have notified the University that you wish to cancel your accommodation contract there will be no charge made from the start of the summer term on Tuesday 14 April.

Students with rental agreements with the University have been contacted with more detailed guidance, including how to notify accommodation teams, financial processes and check out arrangements. This offer of early contract cancellation also applies to students in Student Castle who booked directly through Accommodation Services.

Do I have to pay for catering if I'm not going to be using it?

We are awaiting a University decision on this matter. Again rather than giving you conflicting information, we ask that you wait for the official announcement. We expect to have this decision soon.


What cleaning is being done to help protect against Covid-19?

Cleaning teams are working extremely hard to clean as much as is possible under very difficult circumstances. The team is experiencing a reduction in numbers due to members taking extra precautions to protect students and staff throughout campus. Our cleaning teams are focusing on supporting students in our college accommodation rather than other buildings.

During these difficult times we also need students to assist with this team effort and therefore ask that if you are remaining on campus to proactively clean the kitchen after use and keep both personal and communal areas as clean as possible. This will not only assist the cleaning teams but also help to protect you and the other students in your flat. The product used by our cleaning staff is called Taski Sani Des Conc and is a cleaner/disinfectant combined.

Additional contacts

Contact the Accommodation team on

To report that you're self-isolating or for support queries, contact the Student Hub.

In an emergency on campus, ring Security on 01904 323333.