Information for postgraduate researchers

This information applies to all research students, ie those on MA/MSc by Research, MPhil and PhD programmes, and for supervisors, graduate research administrators and other staff supporting the PG researchers.

In addition to the information provided here, the York Graduate Research School homepage contains links to all current information relating to the PG Research experience.

Conducting your research during the pandemic

Face-to-face research

To carry out face-to-face research you should:

Working from home

Problems with conducting research

If you have concerns about the impact of new/ongoing Covid-19 restrictions (for example restricted access to specialist facilities, problems undertaking fieldwork) on your research project, it is vital that you, your supervisor(s) and other interested parties (eg TAP members, funder, Graduate Chair, or CASE partner) agree a mitigation plan to maximise the chances of your successful on-time completion. Mitigation planning should include discussion of:

  • Re-structuring the timetable of research

  • Changing the topic, methodologies and/or emphasis of the project. For example, reduced time available in the lab or in the field might mean a new approach is required to address the research question

  • Resource and training implications

Your plan should be reviewed regularly as circumstances continue to evolve.

If your project cannot be reconfigured to accommodate the constraints imposed by new/ongoing Covid-19 restrictions, you will need to consider taking a leave of absence. We recognise that opting for a leave of absence will, for many, be a last resort, and it may be particularly problematic for some international students. It is not a decision to be taken lightly - or without advice - but it might be the best option for your circumstances.

We consider extension requests on a case by case basis through the normal process, with compassion and understanding about how this has affected us all. You do not need to address this until three months before your deadline. We will make special provisions to deal with Leave of Absence and Extension requests related to Covid-19 quickly and with minimal evidence requirements.

Requesting a deadline extension

If you have been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and it has impacted your academic work, you can request an extension to your submission, resubmission (if you have been asked by the examiners to revise your thesis) or corrections deadline if you are within three months of your current deadline.

We want to give you the extension appropriate to your individual circumstances. If your deadline is more than three months away, it won’t be possible to tell how big the impact has been upon you. However, please be reassured that even if your submission deadline is some time away, you will still be able to request an extension to your submission deadline due to the impact of Covid-19. Make sure you keep good records in SkillsForge as to how your work and progress have been affected so you can use the information to inform an extension request at a later date (should one be needed).

Requests for up to nine months extension will be approved by Research Student Administration within five working days. Requests for longer extensions will need to be referred to the Special Cases Committee, which meets monthly. Your supervisor and Department will not be asked to comment on your extension request if it relates to Covid-19. They will be informed when your deadline changes. If the request is for more than nine months, we will contact your supervisor and ask them to comment.

The Covid-19 contingency: PGR extension request form has been reviewed and was closed on 31 May 2021. You should now follow the usual procedure for requesting an extension to a submission deadline.

Please note that an extension to your submission deadline which takes you into a new 12 month Continuation period (even if your extension is for a shorter amount of time) will be subject to an additional Continuation Fee charge.

We have however extended our guarantee to waive any form of continuation fees. No continuation fees have been charged since 1 January 2020 and we guarantee no one will be charged continuation fees between 1 January 2020 and 30 June 2021.

Do I need to provide evidence to get an extension?

In the following circumstances you will not be asked to provide evidence. However, we do still want you to tell us how bad the impact is so that we can give you an Extension which is appropriate to your individual circumstances.

  1. Illness with symptoms of Covid-19 (or similar symptoms).

  2. Other illness, but where obtaining medical evidence is not currently possible (i.e. since the University has advised students NOT to go to their GP solely to get evidence).

  3. Circumstances in the student’s domestic situation are challenging, e.g. some member(s) of family are ill or self-isolating, caring responsibilities, etc.

  4. Lack of access to required research facilities and/or resources (e.g. laboratories, libraries/archives (where online alternatives are insufficient), computing facilities, etc) and/or other Covid-19 related difficulties in undertaking necessary data collection (e.g. due to travel restrictions and/or social distancing requirements);

  5. Unavailability of the supervisor due to Covid-19, and the department is unable to provide suitable cover (e.g. a second supervisor or appropriate TAP member);

  6. Additional paid or voluntary work requirements due to Covid-19.

  7. Other severe impact of Covid-19 (e.g. on mental health, interaction with existing disability, etc).

Note that the above also applies to requests for Leave of Absence.

Can I get an extention because I am unwell?

If you are unwell for less than a month:

For many research students, a shorter period of illness can be accommodated within the contingency provided by the continuation period, and the project adjusted as necessary. If that is not possible in your case, you can apply for an extension later. Please keep your Department informed, and keep records of the disruption to your research to aid that application.

If you are unwell for a month or more:

If you are more than three months away from your submission deadline, you should follow the normal sickness procedures and apply for a leave of absence - this will automatically extend your deadlines.

If you are unable to apply for or take a leave of absence, you should keep a record of the extent of your illness and its impact on your research and apply for an extension later. You should also alert your supervisor and/or Department that this is your intention.

I cannot access the extension request Google form

If you cannot access the form because you are in a country where access to Google is restricted, we advise you to use the University VPN.

If you cannot do that, or you become too unwell to complete the form yourself, someone else may complete it on your behalf. If someone completes the form on your behalf, you will receive an email notification to your University email account.

Thesis submission and examination

Thesis submission and examination have been moved online. York already accepts electronic submission of theses and you should work towards your existing submission deadline.

If you are unable to submit your thesis on time due to the Covid-19 pandemic, you should consult the deadline extension information above.

We recognise that the Covid-19 restrictions have had, and may continue to have, a significant impact on your research project and/or theses. Many of you will have had/have to adapt your research project, sometimes significantly, in response to the Covid-19 restrictions and this may be a cause of concern.

In response to this situation we are introducing an optional impact statement to enable you to explain to your examiners how your project/thesis has changed as a consequence of Covid-19 restrictions. This option will remain in place for a number of years, until all PGRs potentially affected by the current disruptions have completed their studies.

Read our PG researchers impact statement guidance.


Until 31 May 2021, vivas are to take place online. If this isn’t possible, or if you would rather delay until a physical meeting is possible, you can request an extension via your Department. Any delay between the submission of the thesis and the viva, however, will not be grounds for appeal in this case. Please contact your Department if you need further information.

Before deciding if this is right for you, please read the following guidance:

Supervision and formal academic progress

Supervision meetings should continue remotely. As of 1 January 2021, the usual Progress Review requirements as outlined in the Policy on Research Degrees will resume. Please see Appendix 2 of the Policy for an overview of the progression process.

This should be read in conjunction with your departmental Postgraduate Handbook which will outline the requirements specific to your department and subject.

During the period of home working, work should be discussed and agreed between you and your supervisor(s) as usual, including agreed targets/milestones and meetings (including TAP meetings and Progression meetings). A normal schedule of supervision/line management should be maintained via video-conferencing or telephone, as appropriate.

Even if progress on your research is very limited, it is important to maintain contact and keep a record of meetings. Any documents should be shared electronically in advance so that the time can be used to best effect (in the case of TAP/Progression meetings, these should be attached to the TAP/Progression preparation form in SkillsForge).

All formal supervision and TAP/Progression meetings should continue to be recorded in SkillsForge. For more information, visit our working from home page.

If your supervisor is unavailable

Many of our PGRs have at least two supervisors. If you do not, then one of your independent internal Thesis Advisory Panel members can cover for your supervisor. If you have any concerns, please contact the Graduate Chair in your Department, or you can also contact the Student Hub or GSA for pastoral support.

Supporting your mental health and wellbeing

Looking after yourself is an important. Try to keep a structured workload, make sure you’re taking regular breaks throughout the day and schedule in days off when you need them. Eat well and don’t place undue pressure on yourself. Don't forget, if you need help, just ask.

Here’s some of the support and wellbeing initiatives currently in place should you need them:

Funding and financial support

You can find information about support funding and loans on our assistance funding web page.

We're engaging with funders where we can, and we are also working through established mission groups such as the Russell Group and Universities UK to ensure that the needs of our postgraduate research community are understood and responded to.

Stipends and sick pay

All PGRs in receipt of a stipend through the University will continue to be paid as normal. If the remote working period covers the date when you return from leave of absence, you need to contact your Department to ensure that stipend payments are restarted. If you do not receive your stipend, please contact your Department in the first instance.

In the case of short-term, self-limiting illnesses lasting less than four weeks, the expectation is that the period of absence is accommodated within the registered period of study. If you are in receipt of a stipend, this will continue to be paid during a short-term illness, but the continuation of funding beyond four weeks will vary by funder:

  • UKRI allow up to 13 weeks paid sick leave and you should notify your Department as soon as possible if you are ill for longer than four weeks.

  • The terms and conditions for other funders may vary with respect to sick pay, so you should also check your funder's terms and conditions if you are not UKRI or University funded.

In either case, if your illness lasts longer than four weeks, you should apply for a Leave of Absence.

Student Support Fund eligibility

Students within their examination period would normally not be eligible for assistance from the Student Support Fund. However, we are accepting applications from students in their examination period who have been affected by Covid-19 and who require financial assistance with any living costs, up to a maximum of £3,000. Applications are assessed on a case by case basis and awards are not guaranteed.

Students within their continuation period (sometimes called 'writing up') are eligible to apply to the Student Support Fund. Under normal circumstances, students within their continuation period would only be assessed for a maximum award of £330. However, if you have been affected by Covid-19 during your continuation period, we will assess your application for an award of up to £3,000 to assist you with any living costs. Applications are assessed on a case by case basis and awards are not guaranteed.

Covid-19 PhD Scholarship Fund (CPSF)

The Covid-19 PhD Scholarship Fund (CPSF) provides support for PhD researchers receiving their stipend via York, and for self-funded PhD researchers, who have been most impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. The type of scholarship available from the CPSF varies by original funding source.

There are four rounds of funding throughout 2021: in January, February, April and August.

Find out more about the Covid-19 PhD Scholarship Fund.

PGR Research Writing-up+ Support Fund

The Postgraduate Research Writing-up+ Support Fund has been created in response to the coronavirus pandemic and is available for postgraduate researchers who:

  • are currently in their writing-up period;

  • have been granted an extension to their studies;

  • will enter their writing-up or an extension period within the next six weeks.

This fund has been made possible thanks to the exceptional generosity of the Wolfson Foundation and other private donors who share the University of York's commitment to supporting Postgraduate Researchers during this exceptionally challenging time.

Find out more about the PGR Research Writing-up+ Support Fund.

Returning to campus and alternative options

A number of postgraduate researchers (primarily international) may have difficulties returning to campus due to ongoing Covid-19 pandemic restrictions. If this applies to you, you must work with your department (supervisors, TAP members and Graduate Chair) to agree one of the following:

1. Temporary Remote Research (TRR)

You may apply for a period of Temporary Remote Research (TRR) if you cannot get to campus for 1 October but you believe:

  • you will be able to return to York in due course, and

  • your project is suited to a further spell of remote research.

If applicable, your funder or sponsor will need to give their consent.

Where Temporary Remote Research is approved:

  • we will ‘start the clock’ for the approval of a period of TRR from 1 October 2020 (i.e. for the purpose of TRR approval we will discount all ‘working from home’ time before this date)

  • the process for the consideration of TRR will involve a discussion between you and your supervisor(s) and the completion of a short form (to follow) which will be approved by the department (up to 4 months TRR), by the Faculty (4-6 months TRR), or by Special Cases Committee (over 6 months, up up to the permitted maximum which is normally 9 months for PhD students)

  • supervision, support arrangements, and other practical considerations will be based on TRR for new PGR students.

2. Transfer to Distance Learning variant of a PGR programme

Alternatively, you may want to transfer to a distance learning variant of your existing PGR programme, if one is available (check with your department). Unlike TRR, transfer to a distance learning programme assumes that you will not be returning to campus-based/focused research for the remainder of your period of enrolment. You will need to meet the distance learning attendance and in-person supervision requirements (see the University’s Framework for Distance Learning PGR Programmes. Your funder/sponsor, if applicable, will need to give their consent to the transfer.

3. Leave of absence

If you cannot return to campus in the Autumn Term and neither a period of Temporary Remote Research nor a transfer to a distance learning variant is suitable (for example, if your funder/sponsor’s is unwilling to accept the TRR or distance learning options), then you will need to request a leave of absence.

Next steps

If you have not already done so, the first step is to consider the options above and talk to your supervisor. If you cannot return to campus by 1 October 2020, you need to apply (with the support of your supervisor) for the option that best meets your needs. The GSA are happy to provide independent advice should you wish. Details of how to apply were emailed to all PGR students over the summer.

We have worked hard to ensure you can still meet the learning outcomes expected in your chosen study. If, however, you feel that you wish to raise your concerns with us more formally, we have a complaints process which starts with talking to your department, so they have an opportunity to try to address your concerns .

Additional contacts