Resources, guidance and policies

This section contains information for staff and links to risk assessments, policies and guidance.

Coronavirus cases on campus

National self-isolation rules have changed, but we will still track positive cases closely. It's really important that you let us know quickly if you test positive.

Instructions to isolate as a result of a potential contact will be issued by NHS Test and Trace. The University will continue to work closely with the City Council's Public Health team, focusing on monitoring where cases are occurring.

What to do if you have symptoms

If you develop one or more coronavirus symptoms you should self-isolate immediately according to the rules. You should take a PCR test. If you test positive let the University know as soon as possible via your line manager.

What happens next?

You will receive support from your line manager and HR. Your line manager will complete a Covid-19 reporting form:

What if someone develops symptoms on campus?

Mental health and wellbeing

We understand that changes to ways of working can be anxious or stressful for people. We are monitoring the changing situation closely, providing regular updates to staff and implementing recommendations. We have put together information on Health and wellbeing for staff to help you.

If your concerns are medical please contact your GP/medical specialist or call NHS 111.

If you have any non-medical concerns, please discuss them with your line manager or Head of Department in the first instance. You may also wish to talk to Health Assured, our employee assistance service, which can provide advice and confidential counselling via a 24-hour helpline.

If you have a concern you do not feel comfortable discussing with your line manager then you can contact HR on

There is also a range of resources to help you support vulnerable groups or those with particular accessibility needs:

Covid-secure measures

Covid-secure leads

Each department has a covid-secure lead, who is your first point of contact for any issues with covid-secure measures. They are responsible for the covid-secure measures of their department and can investigate concerns and make adjustments if necessary.

Risk assessments

Our robust risk assessments cover (although are not limited to) use of University spaces (including laboratories and offices), ventilation, face coverings and PPE, teaching, research, reporting cases, travel (commuting and international), cleaning, vehicles and student accommodation.

They have been compiled with the combined and collective engagement of University stakeholders and contributors from Academic, Teaching and Research and technical colleagues within Facilities, Professional Services, the Trade Unions and the student bodies.

We’ve looked at the additional measures that need to be taken to remove or minimise risks, and whether additional equipment or procedures are required.

Face coverings

Face coverings are required by law in most indoor public spaces. This means you must wear a face covering in all public spaces on campus (except for exemptions, for example where you are eating, drinking or exercising). The Department for Education recommends face coverings should be worn in communal spaces and in teaching settings, although staff are not expected to wear them while teaching, to support education delivery.


Mechanical ventilation uses a fan to draw fresh air into or extract air from a room. These systems have been (where possible and practicable):

  • adjusted to maximise the ventilation rate

  • checked to confirm that normal operation meets the design specification

  • adjusted so only fresh outside air is circulated

  • maintained in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommendations.

Opening external windows improves natural ventilation, and can also help to create a throughput of air. Where necessary external opening doors may also be used (if they are not fire doors and where safe to do so). The University will attempt to balance the need for increased ventilation with maintaining a comfortable temperature for users. See our advice on winter changes to ventilation.

If you are concerned about the ventilation arrangements for your workspace, you should seek advice in the first instance from your Departmental Covid Lead. You can also raise a concern using the Facilities Helpdesk, using the dropdown link for Ventilation not working.

Ventilation flow rates are no longer being used as the primary constraint to determine room occupancy. If there is no mechanical or natural ventilation you should ask your Departmental Covid Lead to ensure a risk assessment is undertaken. Items for consideration should include limiting the number of users/occupancy numbers, social distancing arrangements etc.

Vaccine certification

The NHS Covid Pass (or an approved alternative such as the EU Digital Covid Certificate), or proof that you have had a recent negative Covid test, will be required for entry into venues with large crowds from Wednesday 15 December 2021.

This does not apply to lectures and teaching sessions, and we do not expect this requirement to prevent planned University events.

Guidance for staff concerned about working on campus

We understand that the impact of Covid-19 may make some members of staff feel anxious about working on campus, so we have a comprehensive range of measures in place. We now have easy access to vaccination (including regular on-campus clinics) and regular and robust testing.

If you are still concerned, talk to your line manager, who can complete a risk assessment with you.

Further information

  • SAGE guidance: Principles for managing SARS-CoV-2 transmission associated with higher education, 3 September 2020

  • DfE guidance: Higher education: reopening buildings and campuses, updated May 2021

Additional contacts

For most queries, please contact your department in the first instance, or email

External information sources

In addition to University sources, you should also consult these official sources of information: